Real Incomes - True $$$

Monday, March 17, 2008

Experiencing an Autorickshaw Driver

I was returning from Naliya, Kutch to Vapi on March 15th of 2008. I had a 3rd AC ticket for 9116 Bhuj-Bandra Shayaji Nagari Express train which leaves from Bhuj at 2230 Hrs.

Using my knowledge about travelling schedules going hayward, I started from Naliya at about 1530 Hrs. However, to my surprise I reached Bhuj at 1800Hrs.

As soon as I moved out of the Bus hordes of Rickshaw Wallahs jammed up to me pulling me here and there asking where I wished to move. "To Hell" I wish to move, I shouted.

There was one Muslim Guy, a middle aged, long beard and wearing a pukka Muslim round hat. He moved closer to me (Frankly, the three kindda people I hate the most are Biharis and Muslims and Rickshaw wallah's and a Muslim Rickshaw Wallah - God save me). He smiled and asked "Railway station"? I did'nt even looked at him.

I pulled my baggage and moved to the nearest 'Pan Wallah' and had a smoke. As soon as I paid for the cigarette, there he was again and asked me "Saab sirf chalish rupaiya de dena". Ok. I thought of saving 10 rupees (other Rickshaw Wallah's were charging Rupees 50.00).

The Rickshaw Wallah Picked up my luggage ( two full suitcases of about 40 Kgs each) and moved out of the Bus stand. I was trying to catch up with his speed with thoughts as wierd as what will I do if this Muslim Rickshaw Wallah disappear with my luggage?

He placed my luggage nicely and with care at the back hatch of the rickshaw. I looked into my watch. It was 1830 Hrs.

Just out of curiosity I asked Do you know some places nearby where I (or we) can hang out for about an hour or two? "Haan Saab" (Yes Sir) yahaan purane Mehel (palaces of Kings) auur Talaab (Natural Water Pool) hain, auur Mukbaraa bhi hain Raja ke(Kings Cemetry) he replied. OK, lets move then. "Saab paisa thoda jyaada hogaa". I knew damn Rickshaw Wallah's, they all find excuses to make money.

Anyways, I had to spend some time. Ok, start now. The rest two hours is all that had a lasting impression on me for that Rickshaw Wallah.

He took me to 'SharadBaug' Palace first - unfortunately that had closed at 1800 Hrs, then to
'Haji Mohammed's' cemetry.

As soon as our Rickshaw stopped near the cemetry, a charming little girl of about 5 years age came running towards the rickshaw and took the drivers seat. The cemetry was actaually near to the Rickshaw Wallah's home and the little charming girl was his daughter.

"Whats her name?" I asked. "Mehzabeen" he replied. Nice name I said.

She ran around the cemetry as a free butterfly without worries and pre occupations, guiding me through the Old Gates and Doors of the cemetry. I felt she was more happy because she got to meet her father mid-day (which otherwise might have been a dream for her as the "Rickshaw Wallah" would have been rerturning late night).

While we returned she took a joy ride sitting on his father's lap upto her home. "Papa Jaldi aanaa" - she mumbled out as the rickshaw sped away after dropping her.

Then we went to 'Pir' Dargaah on the top of a hillock and then to 'Aina Mahal'.

The Rickshaw Wallah was carrying around my luggage even without me asking for it, during the whole duration.

He even took time out to read his daily 'Namaaz' while I was busy clicking pictures of the 'Aina Mahal' for my Orkut Album.

"Now straight to the railway station" I said. We reached the station, he pulled out my luggage and said "Aise toh hum Do Soh rupaiye lete hain angrezon ko ghumane ke liye par aap dedh so de dena" (Usually, we charge Rupees 200 from foreign tourists but you can pay 150.00)

I did'nt had the change. So I went to the nearest road side hotel to get the change. All of a sudden the cute innocent face of "Mehzabeen" flashed through my memory. Quite innocent, lovely - absolutely fit for being my daughter.

I purchased a Big Cadbury Fruits and Nuts and moved near the Rickshaw. I paid the 150 bucks to the Rickshaw Wallah. "Good Night Sir" he said and was about to move. I handed over the chocolate and said - this is for Mehzabeen: bahut pyaari bachhi hai (quite a nice girl).

The Rickshaw wallah was taken by surprise. His eyes was full of emotions and I noticed that in shape of moisture in his eyes.

Rickshaw Wallah: Sir, kitne paise bante hain is chocolate ka main de deta hoon.
Myself: Rehene do - ye apke liye nahin, apki bachhi ke liye.
Rickshaw Wallah: Mere padosh ka number rakh lijiye. Mera naam Sayed.
I scribbled his number on my mobile's phone book.

God, till now I even didnt bothered to ask his name - I felt ashamed.

I saved rupees 10.00 spent 150 plus a chocolate worth rupees 100.00 .

Phir kabhi ayenge toh yaad kijiyegaa, I'll show you all the nice places around Kutch.

Zaroor, next time biwi (Mere Biwi bachhe humesah mere dimaag main rehte hain) ko bhi saath leke aaongaa. I left and he left.

The cute happy face of Mehzabeen would surely linger around in my memories for longer than the duration of the tour - I knew.

2 comments:

GagayMD said...

found ur site at link referral..ex link?

Gypsy at Heart said...

Children can get to you that way. They have a way of forcing us to focus on the important and worthwhile things. I'm glad you met Mehzabeen's father. It was your luck and his.

Google